“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” Matthew 25:40 (NIV)
As Christians we are not supposed to just go to church and then go home. The church is not truly meant for us. We are to be the church for those who need to hear God’s word. Many of us find our selves in a routine of going to church and coming home and that’s it. How many of us get involved? I know with as busy as our schedules are, it is hard to find time to buy groceries let alone volunteer. But, we are supposed to reach out to those in need. I have made a top 10 list of ways to volunteer either from home, or short time framed opportunities that will work for most moms! It doesn’t matter what we do as long as we get involved and show our kids first hand how fun it is to help! Find what you are passionate about and start there. That way volunteering wont feel like a chore. We must make a difference in our communities, God will bless us for doing what He has asked!
- Find an organization you support and see if they need help running their blog
- Make phone calls for a non-profit
- Help get envelopes ready for mail outs
- Be a greeter at your church (you are already there and the kids can join in!)
- Take your kids with you to your local food bank and sort food
- You and your kids can make cards for local vets and residents of nursing homes (it really brightens their day!)
- Volunteer with a hospitality ministry where you cook meals for families who have had a birth or loss in the family (these ministries are also easy to start if your church doesn’t have one, get a bunch of volunteers and you only have to cook a meal once a month or so because you all take turns!)
- If you are artistic or creative in any way non profits and smaller ministries would love to use your abilities for websites, flyers and events
- Go through your closets and clean them out! There are lots of non profits that will distribute the clothing to those in need
- Need a way to start off simple and work into bigger volunteer options? Start by sponsorship. You can sponsor children and families in lots of different organizations to provide things like food, clothing, school supplies, a job and much more!
It doesn’t matter what you do, we just need to get out there and make a difference! If you still don’t know where to start I have listed a few non profits that I really believe in and you just might too! Go and be Jesus to the world!